A human hair wig can by styled virtually any way that natural hair can, whether it's natural, curly or pin straight! Read these steps to styling human hair wigs and learn how to care for your human hair like a pro.
Before we begin, let's take a quick look at the features of these wigs, so we know what we're working with.
- Styling versatility: Human hair wigs that have a lace front cap construction can be styled away from the face, so you can curl or wave the hair back and be undetectable, even without bangs.
- Human hair wigs come in a variety of textures as well as colors, so you can match your own texture very closely if you are looking to have a wig with hair that's similar to your own.
- With proper care, human hair wigs can far outlast their synthetic counterparts. So pay close attention to these styling tips, and make sure to wash and store your wig properly.
- Natural Look: Human hair is a luxury. It doesn't have the shine that synthetic fibers can sometimes have, and the feel and movement are just like natural hair.
How Do You Style a Human Hair Wig?
This is actually much less complicated than many would think. In 5-6 easy steps, you can have a perfectly styled human hair wig!
- Cut the Lace: If your wig is a lace front, it most likely came with pre-cut lace, but for the wigs that do not, the lace must be cut. This is a delicate process that takes a steady hand, a good pair of scissors and a lot of patience. Cut away about a quarter-inch of the lace all around the front and sides of the wig.
- Use long, fluid scissor strokes to avoid jagged edges. It is best to cut away small portions of lace instead of all of it at once, since cutting away too much lace will ruin the wig.
- Define the part: Use a wide tooth comb to create a part on one side of your hair or follow the hard parting that your hairstylist has previously cut in. If you are completing this process without the aid of a hairstylist, put the wig on your head and decide where you want to part the hair. Be sure it is centered, and try a few different options before you commit!
- Styling, on or off a head: Some women prefer to style their wig on their own head, while others prefer to put it on a styrofoam or metal wig stand. Regardless of your preference, a wet wig is easier to style. Wet styling is the best method for styles like roller sets. Styling foam and serums are usually applied on wet hair to smooth it out. Remember to be gentle as you do not want to cause any stress to the bonds holding the wig together.
- Dry the hair: Gently blot hair with a towel. To restyle your human hair wig, you may use a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron on low heat settings only or use electric rollers on a medium setting.
- Add some shine to your style: Try using some Luster Serum by BeautiMark to smooth out the hair and add some natural shine. This step will also help to extend the life of your wig!
Now that your wig is styled, you can go show the world just how amazing your hair looks! Let your inner beauty shine through, and you won't even need accessories.
How do you style your human hair wigs? Share your knowledge in the comments below!