I am however, very passionate about our clients and the experience we offer on our sites. But, if I didn't know what living daily with wigs was like…how could I relate to my clients?
So… I decided to try them on for size. I committed to wear a wig everyday for 30 days (morning to night) and feel what our clients feel.
Trying Wigs On For Size
Well, 30 days turned in to 88 days straight! I journaled and posted several of my stories about my experience last year, but here are some of the highlights
What I Learned About Wigs...was pretty amazing. I’ve been in this industry for so many years and I knew everything about them… or so I thought! But I learned some important things to remember when wearing wigs:
- No matter how different or "not natural" you think you look in your wig… people just don’t notice enough to realize your wearing a wig. It was shocking how many who see me regularly, didn’t catch on.. and then didn’t really believe me when I would tell them I was wearing a wig. Crazy… but true! Will happen to you too.
- Wigs are not itchy… your wig cap and how your hair sits under the wig cap is important. When your wig cap is not fitting properly it can ride up or slide around. This is what will cause your hair to move around under there and this is what will itch. Easy fix! I like mesh wig caps and once I get the fit just right…I don’t move it at all!
- Natural look = confidence! Needed to make my wig look completely natural are two key things. (1) Lace front and monofilament cap design. These hand tied features make all the difference, ensuring the most natural movement of your hair and appearance of a natural hairline and scalp. (2) Rooted colors. A slight shaded root will make your style look super natural. Whether i am going brunette or blonde, (btw...redhead is my favorite!) a natural or even dramatic root is the way to go for me.
- The wig cap must be on correctly. For me…. If I comb my hair straight back under my wig cap, it makes my head sore (like when you wear a really tight ponytail all day) but when I comb my hair over to the side and pin it back or put it in the wig… It feels much better all day!
- Going outside (where the color looks more like it does online) and checking out the color in different lighting makes all the difference!
What I Learned About Myself:
- Color can change my mood! I like being a redhead… makes me feel sassy. But blondes definitely get the looks more than other colors.
- I love the feeling of human hair…nothing quite like it, but I prefer the luxury of a set style synthetic wig. My hair looks just as good at the end of the day as it does in the morning. It appeals to the lazy in me;) shake it and go!
- I am not self-conscious at all about wearing wigs now. I am completely obsessed!
What I’m Most Thankful For:
- Now I have an insight to what life is like wearing wigs daily. And I love it!
- Not having to do my hair every morning and having it done in 5 min;)
- Having flawless hair when the weather is bad. Definitely a plus!
I hope these tips and insights have made a difference for you. I am so thankful I get to do this job! I wish every woman knew how easy wigs can make life. Perfect hair is everyone’s dream. I’m lucky to be part in making that dream come true for anyone who wants it!
Click to see other One Woman Stories of women who have a made an impact on us.
Would Love to Hear Your Thoughts & Tips of Your Own! Please Share Below!