Posted on August 30 2019
Wigs can be a whole mess of fun — & that’s an understatement. Everything from different styles, colors, looks, & more! Wigs are definitely a party on your head, but sometimes they can be a little difficult to maneuver. If you’re new to wigs or only used to wearing a certain kind of wig (synthetic, remy, etc), you may not be aware of the different types of materials that can cause certain limitations with your new 'do. For example, synthetic wigs can rarely be styled with heat, unless they have certain fibers that make them heat resistant. For this reason, there’s a couple different ways you can straighten your wigs without having to worry about ruining or damaging it with intensive heat products. Let’s go over a couple!
The next method is using steam. This is a personal favorite amongst wig enthusiasts as it is one of the easiest & fastest ways to get a straightened look!
- Place and secure the wig on a wig head
- Section off the wig into manageable sections
- Use a steamer with an adjustable heat setting (we recommend the Jon Renau Steamer)
- Brush the wig through with a wide toothed comb and follow along with the steamer
- Once section is styled to your preference, repeat until all sections are complete
See the video below for how to use a steamer on your synthetic wigs:
Blowdrying a Wig
- Gather all hair into a bun on top of the wig, with the exception of the bottom half. This will help to section the hair & make it easier to work with.
- Spray the bottom half with water just enough to dampen it.
- Next, gather small sections of hair & gently smooth down the fibers with a wide toothed comb. Brush it through until there are no knots or tangles.
- Get your hairdryer ready & set it to low heat. (This works even better if you use the hair concentrator!) Move in downward motions with you comb through it.
- Repeat the process in upward motions.
- Release the top bun of hair & repeat the whole process over again.
See the end of the video below on how to use a hairdryer on synthetic wigs: