Posted on February 24 2021
There are several ways to secure a wig, with adhesives being just one of them. Adhesive is a substance used for attaching hair toppers and wigs to allow for extra security. Wig tape and wig glue can be used to adhere lace front wigs or hair toppers to the forehead for a smoother look.
You’ve probably found yourself on this article because you are looking to find the best option for your hairpiece. It’s a highly debated topic and the right answer is highly dependent on the person themselves. The best thing you can do is make an informed decision for yourself, so let’s set you up with the pros and cons!
- Adhesives can provide a strong hold, especially for those with complete hair loss.
- A majority of tapes and glues are formulated to be easy to wash off and remove.
- Wig adhesive is especially helpful with securing lace fronts while keeping a natural look.
- If you are unlucky, you may stumble upon an adhesive that isn’t so easy to wash off. Ever gotten super glue stuck to your fingers? Enough said.
- Piggybacking off the last point - glue sticks to everything, including hair. If you still have biological hair, and if not used properly, wig glue can be a bad idea. Thinning hair especially can suffer damage from adhesive application.
- You need to be discerning with certain wig materials, such as delicate lace fronts. Some lace fronts can’t be used with certain adhesives. Some glues may outright damage your favorite lace front wig..
TIPS FROM OUR WIG EXPERTS
- Red Liner Roll, Strips, or Adhesives is intended for use on the polyurethane material only. The tape is an inch wide and can be cut to the desired length and shape with a pair of small scissors. You will replace your adhesive strips with every wear.
- Blue Liner Roll, Strips, or Adhesives is intended for use on lace front material only to help secure your wig in place. To remove the blue adhesive, you will need a cotton swab and lace adhesive remover. Only 1-3 pumps are necessary to help release and remove adhesive strips and should be sprayed on to cotton swabs for gentle application.
- Adhesive Removal is a MUST. This will help by releasing the adhesive or tape from the hair system. After removal: wash with soap and water.
- Silicone Sheet by Jon Renau is a great solution if you want to add grip in areas of wig or hair topper.
In certain situations, wig adhesives are the best solution. What about the other times though? If the risks of wig adhesive have you feeling wary, you’ll be looking for an alternative. Luckily, wig glue isn’t the only adhesive option. Wig tape tends to be a safe solution for hairpieces. It’s easy and quick to apply and just as easy to remove.
Here are some of our favorite wig adhesives
Toupee Tape Adhesive
Blue Adhesive Tape for Swiss Lace Front
Sensi-Tak Red Adhesive Tape for Polyurethane
What side are you on? Adhesives or not? Sound off in the comments!